The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for parts of eastern New South Wales, with damaging winds and hail likely.
Locations which may be affected include Port Macquarie, Taree, Newcastle, Gosford, Sydney, Wollongong, Nowra, Armidale, Orange, Goulburn and Tamworth.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
* Trees that have been damaged by fire are likely to be more unstable and more likely to fall.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* Stay vigilant and monitor conditions. Note that the landscape may have changed following bushfires.