NSW PUSH FOR LOCK DOWN OF ALL NON-ESSENTIAL ACTIVITIES

New South Wales Government is pushing for a lockdown of all non-essential activities following, Scott Morrison calls for all non-essential travel to be cancelled.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian tonight will inform the National Cabinet that NSW needs a more comprehensive shutdown of non-essential services.

“This will take place over the next 48 hours,” Ms Berejiklian said in a statement.

“Supermarkets, petrol stations, pharmacies, convenience stores, freight and logistics, and home delivery will be among the many services that will remain open.

“Schools will be open tomorrow, though I will have more to say on this issue in the morning.”

The Victorian government is looking to do the same but it’s expected to shut down schools from Tuesday.

If the lockdown goes ahead, the NRL and AFL seasons would likely be suspended.
While, South Australia will close its borders from 4pm on Tuesday.

Australia’s Deputy Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly has assured locals that Australia’s death toll of seven people per 1100 confirmed cases is far lower than most countries around the world.

Mr Kelly said more than 120,000 tests had been performed across the country and only a few people had required intensive care treatment.

“We are testing, we are testing a lot and we are picking up cases early, getting them to isolate, finding their contacts and getting them to isolate and this is the way we can get on top of this epidemic,” Mr Kelly said.

97 cases of COVID-19 have been diagnosed in NSW, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in NSW to 533.

In Queensland, another 38 cases have been confirmed. There are now 259 cases confirmed in that state.

In Victoria, another 67 new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed yesterday, bringing the total number of cases in the state to 296.

The total number of cases in Australia is now more than 1100.