A Newcastle man has been charged over a hoax bomb throat against a flight from Mumbai to Singapore, late last month.
The Australian Federal Police arrested the man at Sydney International Airport, after he allegedly called Mumbai International Airport, warning of a bomb onboard the flight.
The Singapore Air Force was deployed, causing major delays and disruptions for passengers.
AFP Airport Police Commander, Superintendent Peter Mullins, says any threat to airlines is taken extremely seriously.
“A hoax threat is a serious matter that causes significant repercussions for the airline, airport, responding agencies and members of the public,” said Superintendent Mullins.
There are reports the 39-year-old was unhappy with an airline’s service – although these are yet to be confirmed by police.
He was charged with using a carriage service for a hoax threat and will face Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court on Wednesday.