Home // Newcastle News

Newcastle News

KURRI BUSINESSES TARGETED BY THEIVES

A Kurri Kurri business is appealing for information, following a robbery in the early hours of Sunday morning. Beauty therapist Bec Sawyers returned to work yesterday after a month off, to find her store’s shelves had been emptied. “It’s probably going to range between $8,000 to $10,000 just of product.” Her business is located inside the 2327 Charity Bootcamp gym, which also had supplements stolen. “We are offering a lifetime membership to anyone who brings forward any information that leads to us finding who’s done it,” said Mitch Done from 2327 Charity Bootcamp. (AUDIO IN PARTS)

Read More »

MYALL GIANTS GO OVER SAFETY CONCERNS

The National Parks and Wildlife Service is cutting down a dozen Melaleuca or Paper Bark trees at the picturesque Mungo Brush camping ground at the Myall Lakes. A spokesman for the service says, the 200 to 300 year-old trees pose a safety threat. A camper was killed by a falling tree branch at the site in 2000.

Read More »

FARMERS URGED TO PLAN AHEAD FOR DRY SEASON

Hunter farmers are being warned they could be in for one of their toughest spells in years. Already battling drought, they’re now facing a dry autumn and winter… and are being told to plan ahead. For more information on workshops to assist producers in the dry spell, click HERE. For farmers in need of assistance following the Dunedoo bushfire, click HERE or call 1800 814 647.

Read More »

50 TONNES OF WASTE DUMPED AT KURRI KURRI

Investigators are searching for the driver of a B-Double truck that dumped more than 50 tonnes of building and demolition waste at Kurri Kurri’s Hunter Economic Zone. The waste was discovered near a round-a-bout and is believed to have been dumped on Monday night. The Hunter/Central Coast Regional Illegal Dumping Squad is investigating and says so far documents found in the rubbish point to leads in the Sydney area. “We will be following those up and chasing the evidence trail back to the source where the truck was loaded,” Coordinator Rob Robertson said. “To help us with our investigation, we would like to hear from anyone who may have seen a B-Double in the area around the HEZ last night.” The RID Squad can be contacted on 4921 0171.

Read More »

THREE ARRESTED FOLLOWING ROBBERY, PURSUIT AT WALLSEND

Two thieves have held up a takeaway shop in Wallsend, armed with a knife and a gun. Police say the pair entered the store just be for 8pm yesterday. They demanded money from an employee, before fleeing with cash in a silver Ford Falcon. A short time later police allegedly spotted the same car and initiated a pursuit. It’s claimed four people jumped out of the car when it stopped on Masonite Road at Healtherbrae. A 20-year-old woman, 18-year-old man and a 16-year-old male were later arrested They were taken to Raymond Terrace Police Station, but were released pending further investigations.

Read More »

OVERHAUL TO HSC UNVEILED

It’ll be “back to basics” for students in NSW, with a major overhaul to Higher School Certificate being unveiled today. English will now include a greater focus on grammar and writing, with Shakespeare and Dickens back on the reading list. Changes have also been made to science, maths, and history. All Year 11 and 12 students will be taught the new syllabus from next year. It’s hoped the changes will better prepare students for life after school.

Read More »

MAJOR MILESTONE FOR NEWCASTLE’S OZHARVEST

A food rescue group in Newcastle has celebrated a major milestone, with OzHarvest set to deliver its four millionth meal to people in need today. The group, which collects and redistributed surplus food, has been operating for seven years. “Our yellow vans work five days a week to collect and deliver quality excess food to charities, schools and community groups to help those most at risk,” said OzHarvest’s Newcastle Manager Monique Maguire. The four millionth meal will be delivered to Merewether Community Kitchen, which serves over 80 meals a week to disadvantaged people.

Read More »